On Tuesday we had a lively (by some standards) discussion about the advantages of the Internet from a journalism perspective. We’ll consider this list throughout the semester. In April, we’ll revisit and decide whether it needs revision.
Here’s what you said.
- Search engine … we can seek and find
- Information easier to distribute
- RSS feeds
- Can make us more credible (use hyperlinks)
- Easier connection with potential sources
- Interaction (comments, chats, polls)
- Anyone can be a journalist (citizen J)
- Sloppy editing? Immediacy over accuracy
- Journalist pay based on traffic or page views
- More competition
- Need to understand and have access